Mandatory Immunizations to Attend A Licensed Daycare or Montessori School in Markham
Children’s immune systems are in the early stages of development; that’s why having up-to-date immunizations is important to help ensure that they have the best protection possible against serious and/or life-threatening diseases. By having the appropriate immunization, It also helps reduce the risk of disease outbreaks in Montessori schools and child care centres (daycares).
For children attending daycare or Montessori preschools in Markham, Ontario’s Routine Immunization Schedule provides all the mandatory immunizations free of charge to those with a valid Ontario Health Card.
Upon registering for a licensed daycare or Montessori school in Markham, parents are required to provide up-to-date proof of immunization for the following diseases:
- pertussis (whooping cough)
- haemophilus influenza type b (Hib)
- varicella (chickenpox)
- pneumococcal disease
- meningococcal disease
Like most licensed Montessori schools in Markham, IMS requires all students to have the necessary immunization at all times. Exemptions are granted ONLY if the child satisfies the following criteria:
If a child is unable to be immunized for medical reasons, parents can request that a legally qualified healthcare provider complete a medical exemption form for the child.
Philosophical or Religious Exemption for a Child Attending a Child Care Centre
Parents who have philosophical or religious objections to immunization may apply for an exemption for their child, using the form below. A separate exemption application must be completed for each child.
In order to be valid, Statements of Conscience or Religious Belief need to be notarized, and the original copy must be given to the IMS to keep on file.
The following qualify as Commissioner for Taking Affidavits:
- Member of Provincial Parliament
- Provincial Judge
- Justice of the Peace
- Clerk, Deputy Clerk or Treasurer of Local Municipalities (in which your local municipality is situated)
- Head of Municipal Council in which your local municipality is situated
- Member of City Councils (reeves) in which your local municipality is situated
- Notary Public
- Barrister and solicitors entitled to practice law in Ontario
- Any individual who is empowered by the Lieutenant Governor to be a commissioner (a stamp is required for these individuals)
It is important to note that children who are exempt from immunization are at increased risk of disease, and may be removed from the child care centre during a disease outbreak.